Bible Study #15, Based on Luke 5:12-16
It was at the Master’s word that Peter cast the net and caught many fish (Luke 5:1-11). Now, in this second section in chapter 5, the man with leprosy aproached Jesus, and said, “Lord, if you will, you can make me clean.” The leper recognized Jesus as Lord and approached him with faith and submission to his will.
Unlike Elijah, Jesus did not tell him to submerge himself in the waters of the Jordan River. Unlike Elijah, Jesus did not send his servant before him. Instead, Jesus said, “I will—be clean.” Why? Because Jesus is Master and Lord. He is God’s Holy One (Luke 4:34), he is God’s Son (Luke 4:41), he is God’s Christ (Messiah).
Jesus the commandment the man to show himself to the priest and follow the commandment of Moses (Leviticus 14:1-20). Why? For a testimony (proof) to the priest and those that served with him. This act was of great importance: for Jesus was showing that he served God (the Father), and that it was God who was working through him.
Jesus was truly God’s prophet, and Jesus was truly Master, Lord, God’s Holy One, God’s Son, and God’s Christ.
Let us approach Jesus in the same way this man approached Jesus:
- With recognition that we are sinner (Luke 5:8)
- With faith that he can heal
- With submission to his will
- Recognizing that he is God’s Christ
Now, as Jesus’ popularity and ministry grew, he withdrew to pray alone. All who minister, must follow his example. As their popularity and minisgtry grows, we too must seek God in prayer, knowing that we serve him, that the work is His, and that the glory belongs to Him.
Questions for Reflection
- Do we recognize that Jesus is God’s Messiah?
- Do we understand that Jesus serves the Father? (1 Corinthians 15:28)
- Do we approach Jesus with faith, reverence, and submission to him?
- Father God, I recognize Jesus as your Son, your Holy One, the Messiah you have sent.
- Father God, I approach your Son because you have sent him.
- Lord Jesus, if you will, please do x, y, and z in my life, my marriage, my career, and my ministry.
Take a Look at My Other Articles
To read some of my recent articles on HugPages, clink on the links below.
- Nebuchadnezzar’s Dream in Daniel 2
- Daniel Dreams of Four Beasts, a Little Horn, and a Court in Heaven
- Daniel’s Seventy Weeks: Two Christian Interpretations (Daniel 9:24-27, Part 1)
- Daniel’s Seventy Weeks: When Was The Word Given? (Daniel 9:24-27, Part 2)
- Daniel’s Seventy Weeks: Is the Prophecy About the Messiah? (Daniel 9:24-27, Part 3)
- Daniel’s Seventy Weeks: Events Foretold by The Prophecy (Daniel 9:24-27, Part 4)
- Will There Be a Rapture before The Tribulation?
- Who Restrains The Man of Sin? Analysis of 2 Thessalonians 2:6-7
- Outline of The Book of Revelation
- The Seven Spirits of God in Revelation 1:4
- The Son of Man in Revelation 1:10-18
- Coming with The Clouds (Revelation 1:7)
How to use this site
If you have comments, questions, suggestions, or testimonies, leave a comment below, email me via the contact page, or call (443) 583-4012 to leave a voicemail.
How you can support me
Share these posts online and with your friends.
Get a copy of Biblical Prayer for Today’s Believers: Transform Your Prayer Life. Read and apply one lesson per day to infuse your prayer life with vitality. With 90 lessons on prayer, your prayer life will never be the same!
Improve the quality of the water you and your family drink with Multipure Products. Multipure Drinking Water Systems are tested and certified by NSF International to reduce the widest range of contaminants of health concern (when purchasing a product, on the checkout page you will be asked “how did you hear about us?” Choose “Multipure Independent Builder,” and enter the number 434633 on the adjacent box).