4 “Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. 5 You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. 6 And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. 7 You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. 8 You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. 9 You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.Deuteronomy 6:4-9
The purpose of family devotions is to teach the family to love God. To accomplish this, the family must make God’s word their focus of coversation and the principle that guides their lives. The devotionals are made to help you do that.
- Memorize the verse throughout the day
- Review the verses from previous posts throughout the week
- Use the conversation starters to discuss God’s word at dinner
- Use the prayer points to guide your prayer after dinner
- Tell the kids the story when they go to bed
- The following day, do one of the creative activities to review the story
Consider rewarding your kids with their favorite candy or dessert for verses they memorize and remember.
- Make a drawing or a painting representing the story or principles
- Use playdough to make a representaton of the story or principles
- Use puppets, stuffed animals, or even toys to act out the story
- Make up a song about the story or principles in the devotional